Blue Ridge Parkway
This is a road that absolutely deserves a place on everyone's "must-see" list. It's a meandering, winding scenic route that stretches from Cherokee, North Carolina, all the way to Northern Virginia. You can journey along it as far as your heart desires, then turn around and retrace your steps. The beauty of the return trip lies in the fact that the views from the opposite direction transform it into an entirely new and captivating drive.
As you travel from Maggie Valley northward, you'll encounter a series of enchanting highlights along the way:
- Waterrock Knob: An excellent starting point is this easily accessible area with ample parking. A moderate mile-plus hike takes you to the summit, where you'll be greeted with awe-inspiring westward vistas.
- Highest Point on the Parkway: Located just over 6,050 feet in elevation, this is a remarkable spot for capturing memories with your camera. From here, the journey leads you downhill, offering a thrilling descent.
- Devil's Courthouse: A massive granite rock outcrop beckons with a short but rewarding hike. Breathtaking photographs can be captured from the parking area, and climbing to the top reveals outstanding southern views that will leave you in awe.
- Graveyard Fields: This stop offers a more extensive hike with opportunities to cool off in the inviting waters during the summer months, along with the enchanting sights of waterfalls and more.
- Mt. Pisgah: A cherished destination to take a breather from the hustle and bustle of the day. Here, a mountain-top inn awaits, where you can indulge in fine dining while soaking in the incredible views that surround you.